Wednesday, June 16, 2010

What is a Parent?

As Nick and I start our journey into parenthood, as like with anything, I'm a perfectionist! I want to be the best mom I can be, and support Nick to be the best dad he can be. I've thought about the amazing relationship I have with my mom and how much she's helped me to develop and grow into the woman that I am today. I'm sure that everyone appreciates their parents (atleast to some degree), but my mom is my best friend as well as a parental figure, and I hope that my daughter and I can share that same bond! So as I've thought about this topic, "What is a parent", and questioned others as well, I believe that I'm starting to get a firm grasp on the type of parent that I want to be.

**A parent should not judge their child, but listen and try to understand their views
**A parent should do everything in their power to keep their child from hurting, and certainly never be the one to inflict the wound!
**A parent needs to be able to distinguish when to nurture, when to punish, and when to let your child learn from their own mistakes.
**A parent needs to know when to hang on, and when to let go
**A parent needs to love unconditionally, and always be sure to let their child know that they are proud of their accomplishments.
**A parent should be selfless, always putting their child first!
**A parent should give anything and everything to see their child happy, even if it meant sacrificing their own happiness in return
**A parent should know when to step back in awe of the child they've raised and realize what an amazing job they've done to bring up such a strong and independent person
**A parent is responsible for instilling morals and values, and teaching respect

I plan to raise Raegan in a home where she knows an amazing love, but also has respect for Nick and I, and is aware of what is and isn't expected of her. I want to be her friend, and her mother, and not doubt that she will be able to come to me in times of need. I want to hold her when she cries from her first heartbreak. I want to teach her good morals and values, and to stand up for herself despite what others may say or do. I want her to be independent, a leader instead of a follower. I want her to have big dreams and aspirations, and reach them. I want to be able to let her make mistakes and hopefully learn consequences from them. I want her to be respectful, and to be able to trust-- although not too easily. I want to be able to show her the world, and give her experiences in her younger years that will help to mold her as she grows. And lastly, I will do everything in my power to show her every single day that I am proud of her and that I support her in the decisions she will make in life. I know it won't always be easy, and I don't expect it to. I know there may be days when I'm more disappointed than proud, and more heart broken than happy, but I've learned from others that this is all part of being a parent. Too many times I've seen the type of parent I DON'T want to be.... it's nice to focus on the good every now and then!!
**This is solely my opinion. Any additional advice is welcomed. You can keep your criticism for your own rainy day :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment